Pages

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Crazyyy for Carrie Bradshaw


This week’s letter comes from ScribbleDitz

Dear Mrs. Librarian Lady,

I really like the show Sex and the City but I never get to watch it on T.V. and my mom doesn’t really like me watching it either. I like the show a lot and I really want to know more about the character Carrie Bradshaw. I want to be a writer and I was wondering how Carrie started her writing career and got a job writing for the New York Star.

Thanks!

ScribbleDitz



Hello ScribbleDitz!

I think that’s great that you like to write and have the goal of becoming a writer. That is very cool indeed! I haven’t seen many episodes of Sex and the City myself, but I do know that Carrie Bradshaw is a writer for the New York Star and she writes a column every week about something that is happening to her and her friends. That sounds like a very fun job to have! I have recently read the book "The Carrie Diaries" by Candace Bushnell and I think you will find it just as fascinating as I did because it tells the background story of a much younger Carrie Bradshaw before she ever lived in New York. You should read this book because I know you will love it!

Many happy readings,

Mrs. Librarian Lady

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell (Harper Audio, 2010)

Review: 17 year-old Carrie Bradshaw is quite a little spitfire. It’s the early 1980’s and she’s about to embark on her last year in high school and is trying to get into a summer writing program in New York. Times at Castlebury High are not always fun for Carrie, but she has a group of tight knit friends that keep her from going crazy. She finally lands the guy of her dreams, the ever gorgeous Sebastian Kydd only to lose him to her best friend Lalli because as Sebastian puts it, “she nicer to me.” Carrie seems to grow wings through her misery and starts to write about things that have a deep meaning not only to herself, but also for many others in her school. Struggling to grow up after her mother passed away when she was twelve, and dealing with obvious betrayal from boyfriends and best friends makes Carrie realize that there’s a great big world out there and she wants to not only live it, she wants to experience it in every kind of way. Bushnell creates the most believable characters in this coming of age tale that rushes at you with full force. Castlebury’s small town feeling is a great contrast with New York City’s hustle and bustle and Carrie’s determination to get there shines brightly on the pages of this glorious novel.

I really couldn’t get enough of young Carrie Bradshaw. I was never a big fan of the series Sex in the City, but I have to say that I enjoyed Candace Bushnell’s writing in this book. Carrie was sassy, fun and very smart. I liked that about her and wanted to keep reading to find out what she was going to do next. Also, Carrie seemed to always have good luck wherever she went and whatever she did. Even if her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend, she still came out on top. Yay Carrie!

This would be an excellent book for a girl’s book club. It is set in the early 1980’s which seems to be coming back in style lately. I also think that teen girls can relate to Carrie because she is a young adult going through exactly the same thing that teenage girls are going through right now in 2011.


This letter is also featured on Examiner.com: Crazyyy for Carrie Bradshaw - San Francisco young adult fiction | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/young-adult-fiction-in-san-francisco/crazyyy-for-carrie-bradshaw#ixzz1D78ypecO

No comments: