Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pictures Tell the Story



This week's letter come from Trippin6

Hey there Mrs. Librarian Lady how are you doing?

I don't read a lot of books because I always feel like I have such a hard time choosing one that I will like. And then there usually seems to be too many pages and I get frustrated and put it down. The other day I saw someone with a cool book that looked like a comic book. They told me it was called a graphic novel. I think I would like to try reading one but I have no idea which is a good one. I know you read a lot of books and thought you might be able to help me with my problem. Do you know of any good graphic novels I might like?

Trippin6

Hi there Trippin6!

You have come to the right place to find a good graphic novel. I have been working on reading more graphic novels lately because they are so popular and really very cool too. Depending on what kind of story you like most graphic novels are not too long and are easily read in one day. If you are into anime or manga you can also find many Japanese graphic novels like Naruto, Inu Yasha, and others at your local library. Here are two graphic novels that I have read recently that I think you might like. I will post a few more later this week too!

Thanks for writing me and happy reading to you!

Mrs. Librarian Lady


Scott Pilgrim: Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O’Malley (Oni Press, 2004)
Honors: Harvey Award Winner, 2007 (Humor), Graphic Album – Original, 2008, Independent Comic of the Year, 2006
Review: Scott Pilgrim has got the best life ever. He seems to have a charmed life. He’s got cool friends, a rockin band, a sympathetic roommate and even a much younger girlfriend named Knives Chau. One day when Scott sees Ramona Flowers in the library his world gets rocked and from that moment on he only has eyes for her. He thinks of ways to get Ramona to run into him and when they finally hang out she isn’t really that interested in him. It isn’t until she sees him playing with his band that she knows he’s really cool. All along Scott keeps getting these hilarious emails and notes from some guy named Matthew Patel who is trying to challenge him to a fight. O’Malley has created a very likeable character that really can do no wrong. This is the first volume of Scott’s adventures which turns out to be his first triumph against the first of Ramona’s seven evil ex-boyfriends. The graphics are uniquely stylish that convey characters with big eyes and excellent expressions. The graphics also capture the essence of young adults in their natural element with a bit of steam punk and rock and roll.
I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book, but it turned out to be great. I really liked the relaxed feeling of Scott’s world and how everything seems to turn out well for him. Even if he has 7 evil ex’s to fight and Knives wants to kill him he is still relaxed and as cool as a cucumber. That is pretty funny stuff.

Pinocchio Vampire Slayer Volume 1 by Vane Jensen & Dusty Higgins (SLG Publishing, 2009)
Honors: ALA Great Graphic Novels for Teens, 2010
Review: This is not your good old Disney Pinocchio story, no it’s the edgy vampire hunting one. Pinocchio lives in a town filled with vampires and it is his job to get rid of them. He takes his job seriously, but suddenly his father Gepetto is taken by the vampires. Pinocchio loses it and goes on an all out war against vampires. This graphic novel is deep, dark, and dreary in colors, but the intensity of Pinocchio and his ability to be invincible against vampires is incredibly likeable. Full of humor and excitement this novel is sure to boost the career of a new vampire slaying hero.

I think this book is pretty cool and hilarious at the same time. The basic concept of taking a cute little puppet person like Pinocchio and turning him into a vampire slayer cracks me up. He is pretty cool in this role though. I like the fact that he is killing vampires with his wooden nose and that he has to lie in order to get his nose longer. A great twist on the classic tale.

No comments: