Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Intense Sci Fi Action Rulezzz

Today’s letter comes from Jedi Bum

Hi Mrs. Librarian Lady,

I was thinking that I wanted to get a really good book this week but I really don’t know what to read. I like lots of different kinds of books and I think Science Fiction is really cool. I also like a lot of action and would like the main character to be a guy. Have you read any good books lately that sound like that? I hope you had a good New Year.

Thanks,

Jedi Bum


Hi There Jedi Bum! I have to say that your letter has got me thinking about some really good books that I have read recently. One that comes to mind is an action packed Sci Fi thriller called Unwind by Neil Shusterman. Unwind is an amazing story about a brave young man named Connor who literally has to go on the run and fight for his right to live. His world is a futuristic world that takes place after a Second Civil War, which happened between the pro-choice and pro-life forces in the United States. After the war the government came up with a declaration that allows parents to unwind their unwanted or difficult kids between the ages of thirteen and eighteen. Being an unwind means that their bodies are surgically taken apart and all the organs and tissue are used in other people. According to the law, the kids aren’t considered dead, they’re “living in a divided state.”

When Connor finds out that his parents have signed his unwind papers, he flees his home to find a safe place away from all of the horror. Setting out, he meets Risa who is an accomplished pianist that is scheduled to be unwound, and Lev who is a Tithe, a special token to the church so to speak. The three all have something to learn from each other and an incredible journey to unravel. The book follows these three across the United States as they travel together, split up, and meet again when their destinies cross in a Harvest Camp where they are slated to finally be unwound.

Shusterman has created an intense and realistic future world that will totally give you goose bumps. I guarantee that you'll be looking over your shoulder for several days after reading this book!

Happy Reading to you!!


Mrs. Librarian Lady

P.S. Jedi Bum, your letter has given me an idea. If you like Unwind then you will love reading more books just like it. So I will be posting book reviews all week with ideas for books that you can read after you read Unwind.

No comments: