Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

All Worked Up

This week's letter comes frim SmokeyRat

Hi Mrs. Librarian Lady,

I am really worried right now because my teacher just assigned a book report and I have to get a biography and read it. I have no idea who I want to read about and when I go to the library I get lost in all of those books. Can you please help me I think I am going to be in big trouble if I can't come up with something very soon.

Hi SmokeyRat,

Never fear, I always have a few book ideas up my sleeve. If you aren't sure who you would like to do a book report on I can give you a few ideas. Pick someone who you are interested in and that you think will be good to write about. I always like Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Jesse James and Elvis. They all have very interesting facts about their lives and some great pictures too. You should check out the high school picture of Barack Obama it's great!

Good luck and keep on reading!

Mrs. Librarian Lady

Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman (Henry Holt Books, 2009)

Honors: YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 2010 Winner

Review: This biography covers the life of Charles Darwin whose revolutionary theory of evolution came to light in 1859 with his published manuscript The Origin of Species. His theory has been debatable by many and even today continues between the scientific world and religious affiliations. Charles and Emma shows that even in his personal life, Darwin had issues with conflict and unresolved issues with his marriage. The two might have even been considered to have been polar opposites with his scientific theories and her forced religious beliefs. This book gives a stimulating account of how Darwin dealt with his work and his personal life.

I was very interested to read this biography considering the long standing debate of Darwinism. The book was well written, organized and interesting. I never knew that Darwin struggled with many personal issues in his marriage. The book gave quite an engaging look into the historical background of his life and work.

The Great and Only Barnum: The Tremendous, Stupendous Life of Showman P. T. Barnum by Candace Fleming (Schwartz & Wade Books, 2009)

Honors: YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 2010 Finalist

Review: P.T. Barnum was a master at creating the most amazing and interesting circus sideshows. This biography traces his career from the beginning of his start up in Connecticut and follows him as he becomes the most famous circus presenter in history. Done in a photo memorabilia layout with text on the sides the book has an old fashioned feeling and is highly engaging and readable. This in depth look at Barnum also offers deep insight on how undeniably interesting the 19th century entertainment world really was.

This is a really interesting and amazing book. It is full of pictures and the life story of Barnum is captivating. I never knew that there was a miniature man only 39 inches tall and that there is a Barnum museum in Connecticut.

No comments: